SailNet Community - View Single Post - anyone who's done the trip from long beach to catalina. feedback please
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Made the trip a number of times.

As others stated, watch the weather. It is normally really calm, but we've been caught in a gale twice. If you're anchoring, check depths and adjust your spot for your ground tackle. Isthmus is deeper than Cat Harbor, and Cat Harbor is calmer. Our favorite is Little Harbor, but watch the rocks at the entrance. They are hidden at high tide. Emerald Bay is really pretty but less protection.

Sprint has no coverage in Cat Harbor, but you can roam and have (slow) data. Little Harbor has no coverage.

Favorite for beauty would be Little Harbor. Favorite for a calm and good night's sleep would be Cat. Isthmus and Cat both have good fishing.

Get there early and find a good spot to anchor. Watch for dragging, especially at Isthmus. Normally everyone is on one hook.

On the way there and back watch the shipping lanes. If it's dark, really watch. It's good to have radar in the fog, but I also use an AIS app for my android, along with a good navigation app (MX Mariner) and a navigation package on my laptop. Don't be shy about hailing big ships that are close to let them know you see them and you're going to give way to them.

And.... Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook