SailNet Community - View Single Post - Adler Barbour CU-100 short cycling
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013

bshock is on a distinguished road
Adler Barbour CU-100 short cycling

Hi All,

I'm a new owner of a 2000 Beneteau 361. The boat came with a fridge/freezer with an Adler Barbour CU-100. I bought the boat knowing the "fridge" was acting flaky/not cooling at all.

When turned on, the fridge short cycles; running for a few minutes, then kicking off for a few seconds, then coming right back on. I called for a service technician to look at it and he said he's not sure why it is short cycling, but said a new compressor is the fix. I don't mind paying the money if that truly will fix the problem, but I am concerned that that answer is the technician's standard answer when he doesn't know how to fix something.

What is even more puzzling is that after the technician performed the diagnostic on the fridge, the fridge worked beautifully for about 3 weekends in a row. This weekend I went back to the boat and the fridge was again short cycling and not cooling.

A couple of factors to be aware of; I was not with the technician when he serviced the boat. Each subsequent weekend in which we went back to the boat with a WORKING fridge, we had turned off the fridge before we went home the prior weekend, so the fridge was turned off all week. We are weekend sailor only.

This last weekend we thought that since the freezer had been working so well, why don't we leave it running all week with our food in there, so we didn't have to take our leftovers home. But then this past Friday, when we returned to the boat, the fridge was again short cycling.

Whenever we run the fridge, it is when the boat is connected to shore power. We always turn the fridge off at the fuse when we leave the dock.

I've never owned a big boat before, and never a boat with these types of systems, so I lack what is likely considered basic knowledge of big-boat systems.

Any ideas? Is a new compressor the way to go?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook