SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cost to Replace Chainplates? Should I Walk Away?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Re: Cost to Replace Chainplates? Should I Walk Away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
As i said titanium is not the way to go. Save yourself the time and $. 316 is fine dude. Bed it correctly and no worries for atleast 3 years. I dont know about your chainplates speific but mine are very easy to pulland check up close every year.
How much is your rig worth? How much is your boat worth? And finally, how much is your life worth?

Compare those answers to how much would these titanium chainplates cost?

The person who started this thread claims he will be cruising across oceans for years. If he can afford to do that, I can only assume he can splurge a little on some TOP quality chainplates.

Most boats you would cross the Atlantic with are not that small that the chainplates can be easily pulled and inspected annually. Mine are very deeply installed into this boat.

WHY not spend the money for the best that todays' technology can provide for such an important part of your boat?

If you are on a hot dog and raman noodles budget, then besides "saving" on chainplates, perhaps you would do best to stay in an apartment... IMHO.

Nobody ever said Yachting is a cheap endeavor. IF they did, they were wrong.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook