SailNet Community - View Single Post - Since Hurricane prep has already been mentioned ...
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
Re: Since Hurricane prep has already been mentioned ...

Gary,
A couple of years ago, before Irene, I was in a hurry and bought a few new shackles for my anchors, only to find out they were made in China (well it is stamped right on them dummy!). I figure I could use them to run make shift kellets down the anchor lines. I have lots of old chain and some left over Turfstone blocks from a walkway to the dock. The blocks are designed to allow for drainage with large holes in them and weigh 24 lbs each (less under water). I could run the chain thru the holes, attach it to the shackle with the anchor line thru it as well. I would tie a long leader line to the shackle and tie that off to the anchor line, so the 'kellet' would sit about a boat length away from the swivel. My anchors (a 35 lb New Zealand Rocna and a 25 lb Danforth) have 65' of 5/16" chain attached. Our creek has nominally 5' of water, Irene brought a 9' surge; so I figure 100' of rode will give me > 10:1 scope. I really cannot let out much more than that due to the width of my hurricane hole in the creek. The bottom of the creek is mud and sand, the anchors dug in well enough last time that I lost the anchor rode rather than drug the anchor. I think these kellets would mostly keep the lines under the boat and offer some additional shock abosrption (along with that of pulling the mooring ball under).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook