SailNet Community - View Single Post - Handicapped Access to Salon?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013

kcblues57 is on a distinguished road
Re: Handicapped Access to Salon?

Well, we got him out of the salon using the halyard and main winch but it wasn't easy. A properly placed block and tackle would help. In my happy place I'd love to add tracks to either side of the salon steps and have a platform which would ride on them and raise/lower him with hydraulics or some other sort of mechanism. We've thought about buying a patient lift but that takes up an awful lot of room in the cockpit. Maybe we could tear it apart and reconfigure the working mechanism to fit our needs? And we do need to contact CRAB, which my brother-in-law had mentioned. They may be helpful.

Michael—we’ve looked online at catamarans but the price is intimidating and they still seem to have their share of stairs since you have to step down into the bed/head area. We’re considering a trip south to check out a pilot house boat hoping the more gradual descent would be easier but we also have to decide if pouring more money into sailing makes sense since this is a progressive disease and we’re not sure how much longer he can function at this level. Still, it’s only money and I’ve always believed in the saying that a dream is a bargain no matter how much it costs. And sorry to hear that you’re also facing challenges but you know the drill—try to hang onto what you have and take the rest as it comes. Our favorite line now is: It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook