SailNet Community - View Single Post - Motor vs Rowing inflatable dinghy...
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Motor vs Rowing inflatable dinghy...

Am thinking about building a hard rowing dinghy, maybe a nesting dinghy to replace my rubber ducky. I like the idea that the RIB can be deflated and stowed for long trips. It also rows quite nicely...BUT not like a well designed rowing hull like a Whitehall or Adirondack Guideboat or similar hull shape. Something like a Dyer dink shape is very seaworthy and would be great except for the weight. Does anyone have a hard dink that is seaworthy, slips through the water nicely, and is light enough to drag aboard without a major block and tackle operation?

I built a (plywood core) stitch and glue pram style dink a couple of years ago but it is neither very light nor is it very stable and seaworthy. It's ok to get from boat to shore on Lake Champlain in a protected spot but I would not trust it in a following sea on salt water or bring it cruising.

I'd like to lay up a very light foam core via stitch and glue and then cover with Kevlar, emulating the construction of some ridiculously light whitewater racing canoes I've had. The last 18' Sawyer weighed in at something like 45#. A boat as small as a dink, say 8', constructed with these ultra-light materials shouldn't weigh more than about 40#. I just need a design so as not to reinvent the wheel.