SailNet Community - View Single Post - Since Hurricane prep has already been mentioned ...
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: Since Hurricane prep has already been mentioned ...

Actually, the scope would be closer to 5:1 than 10:1 at maximum surge. 9-10 ft. of surge is typical of what we have experienced at Washington, NC and I expect about the same at Oriental. 5 ft. initial depth. Plus, 3-4 on deck = ~19 ft. with 100 ft. of line.

Chafe is likely a major issue. Chafe will be where line rubs or works against a hard surface such as a chock. Just an idea, shackle to boat cleats a short length of chain(each side) covered well with fire hose, or reinforced rubber hose to protect the boat, chocks, etc. from the chafe that would eat through a nylon line. Then, shackle the nylon line to end of this chain to get the shock absorbing benefits of nylon (with other end connected to the swivel)

You would have to be aboard to retie the lines to move wear spots during the storm. I suspect handling these lines in a hurricane is going to be pretty tough and dangerous. To get past the worn spot will require taking in line against the wind force, which might be difficult. And just when will you know you've reached that critical point? My thoughts are that you should do what you can for the boat in advance and then leave.

Also, on those anchor knots on the lines, I would additionally tie the bitter end in a series of half hitches (reverse every other one) just to make sure that line doesn't untie itself as it moves against boat and turbulence of the water. Hard to untie, but that's the idea in this case.

Not sure how you get more scope. Could you tie to trees on both sides (or maybe over a 270 degree area if you must leave a channel open? If not, anchors and rodes are cheap. Get more to compensate for the relatively low scope.

Something else to think about. You mentioned about putting down blocks to hold lines down. Keep in mind that often in these NC waters, on the back side of the storm, the wind may blow out the water in the creek and you could be settling on the bottom (or those blocks which probably aren't going to do much good for the boat).

Last edited by NCC320; 06-30-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook