SailNet Community - View Single Post - Davits on a PSC 34
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
Re: Davits on a PSC 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondofromredondo View Post
I am now looking at the 9' Achilles with inflatable floor along with a 10 HP Honda. So the only solution to find now will be my crane arrangement to raise and lower the motor.
For the last two years we have had an Achilles LSI 290 with a 8hp Nissan 2-stroke outboard on Irish Eyes. We sometimes tow it, sometimes stow it inflated on the foredeck, and sometimes carry it folded just forward of the mast on the mount where the previous owner kept a life raft. When towing it, adding a 36" long black rubber elastic strap to the tow line eases the jerking on the towing eyes. When carring it inflated on the deck, it fits upside down with its transom against the mast and its bow almost at the staysail stay -- the vent crowls need to be removed and the staysail can not be easily used. When stored deflated we can open both the hatch over the v-berth and the one over the head compartment. We have never been in a situation where I felt I had to take it below. We launch the dinghy from the deck by brute force, but retreive it with the staysail halyard and the port side winch on the mast rather than with the halyard winch that is beside the companionway (We have both.). A $17 Coleman air mattress inflator from WalMart does most of the inflation saving the foot pump for the last little bit.

To lower the outboard from the stern rail to the dinghy and raise it back again, we use a piece of 1" aluminum pipe inserted into our boom. (Our boom is hollow and open at its aft end. I realize that not all are.) The aluminum pipe slips 16" into the boom and extends out over the outboard. The main halyard holds up the aft end of the pipe. A 3-part block and tackle also attached at the aft end of the pipe does the lifting. A stop on the pipe keeps it from sliding into the boom. The weight of the outboard is carried completely by the halyard. The aluminum pipe is in compression. The whole kit fits in the port locker when it is not in use.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
shanedennis (07-01-2013)