SailNet Community - View Single Post - Atomic 4
Thread: Atomic 4
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: Atomic 4

I will say that I have looked at hundreds of boats in person and a whole lot more on the internet and never saw an A-4 with a saildrive unit on it. If you have found two of them then you have strange luck, LOL. I would stay away from any OMC SailDrive boats, the thing just really is not a happy setup.

If it is just an A-4 with a regular transmission and shaft set up then comparing the diesel powered boat to the gas powered ones I would go for the one that I thought best met my needs and desires with one exception, if you are planning on making longer blue water passages, I would recommend the diesel, it will be more fuel efficient and it will have far higher torque to fuel ratio, meaning it will move the boat better for less fuel.

Any used sail boat should have the tanks purged, the lines purged, and the fuel system serviced unless you are 100% positive that it has not been sitting without having proper maintenance done on it regularly. Replacing all the little fuel lines and hoses that look to be brittle, dry, or just suspect will save you a ton of money and headaches in the long run.

If you get a diesel you will be well advised to set up a multistage filter for fuel polishing if your boat does not already have it, and it does not hurt to do the same with gasoline. Clean tanks, clean lines, and clean fuel will help keep any engine running well a lot longer.

I hope you get the boat you want at a good price and that you enjoy it for a long time to come.

Mark