SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard Motor Telltale Problem
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013

Downbucket is on a distinguished road
Outboard Motor Telltale Problem

Hi:

Hoping someone might be able to help. I have a Johnson 8.0 hp, long shaft, 2001 outboard. Before launching my sailboat (Catalina 25), I changed the impeller and ran the engine in a barrel of water. No problem with water coming out telltale. Launched boat and motored to mooring. No problem. Put sails on, started engine to motor out of mooring field to the channel, and saw only intermittent drops of water from telltale for a minute then just steam. Took motor off and brought her home and did the following, all without success:

1. Checked impeller. O.K.
2. Removed the thermostat then ran engine in barrel of water.
3. Checked and cleaned intake screen.
4. Back flushed water through housing where thermostat goes.
5. Back flushed water through telltale.

Result of above: water exited every place it should except for the water tube which connects to the water pump tube grommet.

Next, I ran a pice of weed whacker trimmer line up through the water tube. There does not appear to be any blockage.

Next, took cover off of water jacket and ran trimmer line through the water hole. Again, there does not appear to be any blockage.

My next step will be to run vinegar through the housing where the thermostat goes. First, I need to replace the gasket which goes on the water jacket cover.

From my reading online and in repair manuals, if the vinegar does not work, I may need to replace the head gasket, or the head may be cracked.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments will be much appreciated. Because of an injury last summer, I was unable to sail so it's been 1 1/2 years. I am suffering from "sailing withdrawal" and desperately need a fix.

Thanks.

Will
(Portland, Maine)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook