SailNet Community - View Single Post - Website with currents shown on chart with arrows
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Website with currents shown on chart with arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
deepzoom.com

It's my favorite current site on the web. If you are one of the 5% with a Windows Phone then there is also an app version of it called "Nautical Charts".

Navionics has the information, but it isn't presented as nicely. I don't understand why the deepzoom presentation isn't more common.
It must be how we utilize the information. To me Nautical Charts is like a beginners version of Navionics. You can set ponts to received tide, current , wind speed and direction all on one screen in Navionics. All programs have most things you want. Not one has all unfortunately.

Nautical charts is nowhere near as user friendly as Navionics. Having used both. I found Nautical charts you had to keep returning back home to get to the next information you wanted. The other program I use is Blue Charts from Garmin as it presents some info better than Navionics also and has Active Captain.

It is easy to changed dates and times at the multitude of current or tide stations seamlessly which is important in long term planning. Especially on a tablet, I pad or Chartplotter. Navionics also can be used at home or below to plan and plot and on some chartplotters can be seamless bluetoothed onto the Chartplotter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook