SailNet Community - View Single Post - Website with currents shown on chart with arrows
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Website with currents shown on chart with arrows

I have looked at the Stevens Institute sight for years after they did a current lecture for sailors a while back

Its really a bit to much information and requires a beefy data connection and computer to use onboard

The eldridge old as it is has GREAT drawings of LIS for every hour of the ebb and flood and I am not sure what people find lacking in it ?

I just put my powerboat Lowrance unit back in the Cal 29 as it has NEMA 2000 fuel flow and i need a better idea about the A4s motoring range as were taking a long trip in late July

I have not motored enough BUT so far its between 4 NMG and 8 NMG as if you pick knots for speed it does all the distance in NM

The thing I had forgotten about was the level of current station integration the Lowrance natipath chip has as at ZOOM x it shows direction arrows with speed which is pretty cute

But for example going from Northport to Orient point on July 20th is freaking impossible unless you leave Northport at 2 am in foul current and the eldridge makes it pretty simple to see the flood is full on by 3PM at orient and hitting 4.4 knots

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook