SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Motor vs Rowing inflatable dinghy...

20K views 55 replies 27 participants last post by  TomMaine 
#1 ·
... not as a tender. Rather, for exploring, exercise, etc.

Okay, so I scored an RU 260 off craigslist. It came with dock wheels, which are amazingly useful. Also, a custom cover and tow rope. I jury rigged a rear view mirror (bicycle mirror), wind vane, and streamers (so big boats can see me). Here's a pic of the way I have it set up.

I've been rowing almost every day since I picked it up a week ago. I did not plan to get a motor, as I am using it to a) exercise and b) explore. The thing is, a couple of days ago, I got caught in a strong current, and this had me re-thinking the motor bit. I rowed about 5.7 miles that day. Though, most of it was leisurely rowing, the current really taxed me.

So... I've been investigating potential motor solutions.

Since I wash it down and store it on the dock every night, the motor would have to be reasonably light. This led me to researching an electric motor, as I would still only use it if I got caught in a bind. Thing is, the batteries weigh a ton. Over exaggeration, I know. But you hopefully get my point. The other thing is, that is additional weight I would be rowing around. Oh and. I am not interested in "planing" the dink. That is, the motor would be for situations where I find myself in a bind, like the other day.

I've also considered the little Nissan 2.5 motors, or something similar. They have more power, but then, I'd have to deal with the gas. Again, weight becomes a factor. Esp lugging the thing on/off the dink. Yes, I could use a halyard, but the extra hassle makes taking it out less fun, iykwim.

I have considered just painting the bottom with anti-fouling paint for inflatables and just leaving it in the water over the summer, as I have plenty of room behind my boat in my slip. But I am not sure how to deal with covering it to protect against UV. My custom cover is designed for storing it on the hard.

Oh and, aside. Speaking of UV. I admittedly don't get it. If I'm out rowing all day, it's getting lots of UV rays. So, perhaps coating it with UV protectant might be a good idea?

My other concern is the fact that motors tend to get stolen. Yes, I could put a motor lock on it. But again, it increases the usage hassle. Plus, the motor could increase the possibility of the whole dink getting stolen. Of course, I have a lock for the dink, too. But again, extra hassle.

So, here's my Q. For those who have/use dinks for just puttering around, is a motor worth the effort/cost? If not, how do you deal with those rare binds? Any/all ideas, opinions, etc. welcomed.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure where you are located but here in the pnw we have lots of current, so a motor is almost mandatory. A little 4hp motor with an integrated tank only weights about 40lbs. It can be hung on your stern rail, no problem.

#15 ·
I have been rowing mine and having no problems. Often on days like today I am a twenty minute row from the dock in currents and wind and I get funny looks! Like "what is that guy doing rowing?" I never even considered a motor and I am perfectly happy as is. I think if you get one you will weigh down your dinghy and make it harder to row and I think if you have the option you will end up using it all the time.

I'm a little frustrated by some of the looks I get and the comments. I get people shouting patronizing comments at me several times a week. This week I had

" keep rowing you'll get there"
And
" why don't ou get a motor."

This from people who will happily cruise to an island and anchor for a week with nothing to do and just sit around and relax, somehow when it comes to a dinghy they are in too much of a hurry to row for fifteen minutes.

I think it's a good way for excercise like you already know. I guess you're just going to have to avoid the 4 knot currents. I can't imagine they are that common where you might be rowing.

#6 ·
I really like the SF bay area. While rowing around, to my dismay, most of the docks are private. So, I've been making contact with the managers to see if I can dock my dinghy during my exploring trips. For example, going to starbucks via my dinghy, as opposed to walking to one down the street, appeals to me. Or, stopping by the little german restaurant across from coast guard island on my way home as opposed to walking to a local deli.

Oh, btw, speaking of coast guard island. Almost every time I'm out, I run into (figure of speech) a couple of coast guard zodiac (?) boats zipping around. Anyway, today, they passed very close, and much to my surprise? They had huge freaking machine guns mounted on the bow. o_O

Btw, and back to the subject. I should have mentioned... I am looking at picking up a small sailboat (laser, open bic, rs tera, or something similar) as well. As I really want to get out and learn how to sail. lol. The dinghy is really my puttering around explorer and exercise boat and the sailboat will be my learning how to sail and getting plenty wet boat. lol.

#7 ·
As a Canadian, I will keep my opinions about the bow mounted 50 caliber machine gun to myself.
As far as a choice of sailboat to learn on, I would recommend a Lazer or something similar. I taught myself how to sail on a Lazer some 40 plus years ago and I still have fond memories of hull number 114.

#9 ·
I applaud you. My inflatable doesn't row for sh*t. One of the oarlocks slips, the other one doesn't, so I end up with different length oars and going round in circles. After 1 attempt rowing I bought a 2.5hp Suzuki, weighs about 35lbs, wouldn't go without.

#10 ·
My oar locks have a ring that I tighten down to make them stay in place. I wasn't sure what setting I should have them, so I have tried out different configs. I've also been watching the scullers practice (i know, different type boats), so that has helped a lot.

What I have found interesting/counter intuitive, is that it's actually easier to row upwind against the tide. When rowing down wind with the tide, my dink wants to turn sideways, so I have to do a 1 stroke left, 2-3 strokes right, or vice versa, to keep the dink going in the direction I want to go. This really slows me down.

When I have a good rhythm going, I am making btwn 2-3 mph (per my gps) as opposed to 1.5 mph downwind, with the current. When I hit that heavy current snag in the bottleneck, I was rowing at least twice as hard just to stay in the same place. o_O Since I don't want to do that again, in addition to dealing with the dredging vessels that are docked and and sometimes moving in and out of that area, I won't be going down there any time in the near or distant future. Motor or no.

Btw, and another thought. During my research, some have mentioned getting longer oars. Based upon this calculation, I would need 8' oars. I have been browsing oars and the longest I could find at the marine shops were 5', which, in light of this guy's comment, can't say I'm surprised.. By expanding my search however, I was able to find these. Though, I still want to do more shopping around, comparison price, design, etcetera.

And finally, here's an interesting article about the perils of rowing an inflatable dink. Imho, the author makes some relevant points. Though, I admittedly enjoy rowing around the estuary. Go figure. lol

#11 ·
Given the interest in rowing and sailing I think you might like a sailing tender. I have a Dyer Dhow Midget, which is quite small and simple. There are plenty of examples in the 10' range that are better sailboats (with supported masts and sometimes even a jib). I'm surprised not to see many of these on SF Craigslist, they are common on the Seattle one. Here is an example of a larger one:
11' Ranger Sailboat

or a smaller one:
RANGER SAILING DINGHY 8' W/ Full Sail Rig

My dinghy outboard is the 2hp Honda. I bought it used on Craigslist from the original owner. It's extremely simple with no neutral or reverse. It is also a workhorse and reliable and light at about 25lbs (the current version is 30lbs). Gas is no fus, the fuel tank is built in. However the fuel tank is also very small (1 liter) and only lasts about an hour. I mostly use it on my inflatable, but I've stuck it onto my Dyer Dhow Midget too.

#37 ·
I was going to say the same thing, the sailing dinghy,skiff, or whatever you want to call it that you can row with oarlocks and nice long wooden oars with a 2HP Honda would be just about perfect. If you set it up right you can tow it behind you and use it to explore. the other option that comes to mind is one of the kayaks or canoes that you would be able to haul aboard. As for your inflatable, you could use the same little light weight Honda on it and you would haul the Honda and mount and lock it, store the inflatable on the deck when sailing.

I know I used to have a kayak and an inflatable, I used both quiet a lot when I was sailing, and yes I am a lot bigger than shadowwraith is, and able to haul crap onto and off the boat more easily, but if you have trouble lifting things you can rig something from the boom or get a set of davits to hang it off.

Sounds like you are having fun.

#14 ·
If you bought that dinghy specifically for rowing, then you certainly bought the wrong boat! RIBs are absolute pigs to row! You might want to consider a small Whitehall style row boat instead. They are a dream to row, and you can make good headway even against wind and waves!

Of course inflatables definitely have their strong points as tenders. We have an 8' Aquapro, and we use a Yamaha 4hp 2stroke on it. The engine weighs under 50lb and has a full F-N-R transmission. If you want the lightest engine possible, try to find an old Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury (They are all identical except for branding) 2.5hp 2 stroke. They are dead simple, reliable and ridiculously light. They have F-N only, and you spin the engine 180deg for reverse.

#16 ·
in wind is hard to row the puffboat--also current--both same time--even funner...i would buy whatever small or whatever sized engine is recommended for the size of boat and play in thes un without too much worry about getting home---oh yes--always take your oars with ye when you go exploring.......might wanna consider a kayak for sploring--they are fast and some are even stable.....

#17 ·
I had an inflatable similar to yours with a Honda 2HP 4 stroke. With two of us plus gear it would go about 5 knots. Weighed 27 lbs and the small tank would last all day trolling.
I used to carry an extra pint can of gas but never had to use it.

Rowing in anything but calm winds and much current was a chore. don't work hard, work smart.:D

Paul T

#18 · (Edited)
We have 12 mph winds and high current today, so I ended up checking out a local boat swap meet and putzing around my boat today. And, of course, surfing inet. I figure rowing every other day should be good enough. I did run into a guy putting in the estuary with a little trolling motor. Or rather, I should say, ****huge guy***. Which increased my resolve to stick with rowing as opposed to using a motor to explore.

As for the swap meet. I love those. Found a danforth fortress fx 7 anchor with chain, rode, & carrying case for throwing down in case I need to wait for an ebb tide. Or simply anchor for a quick break. It's a really nice little rig. It breaks apart and comes with its own carrying bag and tools. Since the estuary is sand, the mushroom anchors just won't do. This is reasonably heavy, even with a shortish chain. But it should do here in the estuary. So, now I'm totally set for exploring. Have expandable dock hook, throw rope, pfd (of course), tow harness (just in case), patch kit (just in case), pump (just in case), and a waterproof lamp (in the event I get caught after dark). The latter is doubtful bc it gets really cold once the sun sets.

Also picked up a lee cloth that I have affixed to the transom rail on my main rig. Yeah, spending money that I shouldn't. Though, to mitigate over-spending, I only checked out so much. lol

As for looks/comments? I haven't received any funny looks or negative comments. Or, perhaps, I just don't notice. It takes a lot to insult me. Regardless, the boaters have been waving, and I nod. Stopping rowing to wave throws off my rhythm. Some do stop and ask questions. Though, people seem to be the most fascinated with my rear view mirror/wind vane setup. I'm using broom holders to affix the thing to the transom. And, of course, since the transom is wood, I did use silicone sealant. I do worry a bit about rust, as these are metal (zinc). Then again, since everything gets sprayed down and covered... we'll see... A few have said I should patent it. I think they're finally figuring out that I am a seriously geeky gal. lol

Yeah, I am also considering a kayak if I wanna explore further and faster. I have my eye on the wilderness tarpon 120. For now however puttering around in the inflatable is fine. Am not in a hurry to get anywhere, actually. Just want to play on the water, so to speak.

And yes, a sailing dinghy that can double as a rower makes sense. Otoh, I did look at a few but they had a fairly big footprint and I wasn't really crazy about the design. That, and I am sorta leaning toward the Open Bic style hull.

Even after reading this review, I'm still sorta sweet on the Open Bic. What can I say? I like the hull style and it looks like it would be a ton of fun to sail. And yeah, I know. It is designed for kids. Then again, being a smallish female does have its advantages. ^_~

#21 ·
Yup. Quite happy. Being out on the estuary is peaceful. And sometimes, rather other-worldly. For example, there is this one channel marker near coast guard island where a group of cormorants gather to perch. Kinda gives off a surreal poe feeling. Also, people tend not to come out until mid-to-late afternoons on weekdays. So, outside of a stray paddler, kayaker, or barge, I pretty much have the estuary all to myself.

Rowing an inflatable dinghy is like trying to push a rope. It can be done but it aint easy.
Dang. I must not have received the memo. Bc rowing the dink seems to be quite easy, once I got the hang of it. Then again, I'm not in a hurry or trying to plane the thing. lol

#22 · (Edited)
Personally for the tender am planning on going with the Walker Bay,
it's as roomy as an inflatable, is strong, and is rigid making it easier to row and sail.
there is 8-foot version for 2 people

and 10-foot for 3 people (family size)

the sail power, would certainly make it easier for you to surpass currents, and drastically increase your range of exploration.
remember when sailing to avoid tipping over, you can generally let go of the mainsheet (propulsion) but always hold onto the tiller (steering).

here is a review of walker bay: http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailing_breezes_current/articles/june02/walker10.htm
"a full-length molded keel from the transom to the bow. This adds stiffness and helps the boats track straight when rowed or towed."
"They usually tow better than inflatables. They always row better, especially in wind."

the mast can be disassembled into two pieces for easy storage.

seems like it would require some minor modifications to become an optimal sailing dinghy, like adding hiking straps for higher speed sailing.
though its great as a rower and that's you're main activity anyways.

Also it has the option of getting inflatable edges for the kind of stability you may be used to in the inflatable, and minimizing chances of swamping the boat when heeling during sailing.

#23 · (Edited)
Yeah, WBs seem decent and inexpensive. Have read that they're even better with the stabilizing tubes. And yeah, the optional sailing rig makes them even more attractive (i.e., rowing, motoring, & sailing options in one package). I, figuratively speaking, ran into a guy the other day who was puttering around with a WB+tubes. He was running with 40T prowler outboard. Said he was testing to see how long the battery would last. He was out there at least 3 Hrs. The boston whaler is kewl, too. Though, I must admit, my favorite in that class is the fatty knees. The lapstrake hull and over all design is, to my mind, eye candy. Unfortunately all of these start moving into the hard to manage due to weight, coupled with the size, factor. My neighbors use their whisker pole to lift theirs on/off their boat. Even my dink, which is 53lbs takes some work getting it in/out of the water. Which is primarily bc I'm so short. lol

#25 ·
Get a motor. Rowing sucks. And if your dinghy is not heavy or lacks a keel you will make little to no progress with even a 1.5mph current. I know bc i have an inflateable soft bottom. It wears you out and leaves you stranded if current is too strong. Get a motor. Its high on my list of items to buy soon as i start working again. Im down to my last 400$ at the moment. Should last 3400$ weeks. Hope to be working by next week.

#27 · (Edited)
Really nice to hear some folks still enjoy rowing their tenders, such a simple, practical pleasure appears to becoming a lost art among today's crowd out there...

Rowing has been one of my most enduring passions, as a kid growing up on Barnegat Bay I practically LIVED aboard the 8' pram my dad built for me that carried me on my initial waterborne adventures... Rowing remains by far my favorite form of exercise, rowing with a sliding seat rig and competition-length sculls affords as good a workout as I can handle, and the most beautiful boat I currently own is one of these gems from Chesapeake Light Craft...

Gotta disagree with those who insist rowing an inflatable is too difficult... My Avon Lite RIB rows quite nicely, no comparison to a hard dink of course, but the deep vee bottom really helps... Flat-bottomed roll-ups like yours are more difficult to manage, but it sounds as if you're doing just fine... Does yours have some form of inflatable keel between the slatted floorboards and the bottom, to give it a bit more shape? If not, you might want to experiment with the insertion of something to give it a bit more deadrise. It will track better, and help diminish the suction effect which is one of the major downsides of towing a flat-bottomed inflatable...

For those with Avon-style oarlocks, Tom Zydler has an interesting piece in the latest CRUISING WORLD on his clever solution to beefing them up, and convert them to use with conventional oarlocks... Well worth a look...

Your "calculation" of an 8' oar length sounds a bit long to me, something closer to 6.5 or 7 feet sounds about right... 2-piece oars like the ones you show from Carlisle are pretty much a must for cruising, Caviness makes nice ones, as well... I'd suggest you look around for some spoon blades as opposed to flat blades, they will enhance the power of your stroke... Finally, learn to 'feather' your oars as you row, that is a much more effective technique, especially in a bit more wind or chop...

I'm now using this pair from West Marine that are fully adjustable... Other than the fact that a couple of small components have shown a tendency to rust, I'm pretty happy with them...

WEST MARINE Adjustable Aluminum Oars at West Marine

As for an engine, I've been using a Honda 2 HP for several years now... Some folks seem to find them rather cranky, and others have a bit of difficulty dealing with the centrifugal clutch, but I've had good luck with mine, and find it suits my style of cruising very nicely... Their primary drawback, being air-cooled, is their rather annoying noise... They are pretty loud when run at anything much beyond idle, and if I were buying again now, I'd probably have a close look at a Suzuki 2.5... But whatever you do, I'd suggest you keep the size of any engine modest - I've long been on the record here and elsewhere in my belief that one of the most common mistakes many cruisers are making today, is their tendency to becoming 'over-boated' when it comes to the size, power, and speed of their tenders...

Enjoy yourself, and keep on rowing... It really is a shame the activity is disappearing from the scene, a leisurely row through an anchorage or mooring field has traditionally been one of the most pleasant ways to meet other sailors and make new acquaintances, seems a pity comparatively few seem to bother doing so anymore...

#28 ·
I bought an inexpensive Baltic inflatable a few years ago. It has not only held up remarkably well but rows like dream. People often comment on how well it rows. It has an inflatable V section in the bow which totally changes the way it cuts through the water. I've had Achilles and Bombard inflatables in the past and neither has held up as well as this MUCH cheaper Baltic boat. There is no sign of the transom loosening, no delamination of any of the glued-on parts and it has shown no apparent UV degradation yet. The oarlocks are s.s. swing-up bolts with threaded cap nuts and although these negate feathering the oars, it also stops them from popping out of oarlocks that move around as they do on balloon boats. I made some real, longer wood oars to replace the crappy, stubby little aluminum oars that come with all the inflatables and can get a good purchase on the water.

Carrying gas is something I want to avoid and so far I've been able to do without an outboard. I also carry an old 8' whitewater kayak aboard which can go long distances in essentially any sea condition with the skirt on. It's also nice for exploring without the noise of an outboard.

Reactions: elspru
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.