SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recommendation for running rigging lines
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommendation for running rigging lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It seems 3/4" (19mm) is the largest line diameter recommended for the 32. Some say you should not exceed one size smaller than the max on a self-tailer.

Too large a diameter line, particularly one that would stretch and reduce in diameter under load like Sta-Set, would then expand as it exited the self-tailer up against the stripper. Could become too big for the stripper to deal with. Some suggest that the max line should be no larger than one size below the max.

7/8" Sta-Set would also be extraordinarily heavy, particularly when wet. If the load on your sails requires that large of a line, I would consider something with a bit more performance, even perhaps Sta-Set X. The added strength would allow for a smaller line size, less weight on the clew and better performance in the winch.

I'm a bit surprised that your boat would require lines quite that big. I would even think 5/8" would be more than enough in Sta-Set, let alone a higher performance line.
Thank you! I'll try a short piece of 3/4 and 1/2 and see which works with these winches.

Perhaps the sheets which I replaced and found to be 7/8 had expanded / swelled up over the years, or something like that. Strange. I just wish I had bought a short piece first before I went hog wild.

BTW, I spent about 2 hours searching for the specs for Barlow 32 winches without success. So, I really appreciate your info that they "officially" suggest no larger than 3/4.

Now I am thinking of using this 7/8 line for dock lines.... what a shame.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook