SailNet Community - View Single Post - San Diego sailing
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013

billsull is on a distinguished road
Re: San Diego sailing

Hi Dan,

Welcome aboard! I found myself saying "yep, me too" several times as I read your post. After one misadventure that ended with me waving to my family as they were evacuated on a SeaTow boat while I remained aboard our listing and stranded sailboat, I faced a similar challenge getting my kids interested, let alone excited in going anywhere on the boat. I had some success with my son, then about 9, when I befriended the father of one of my son's playmates and we decided to go on a series of father-son weekends together on the boat. The boys had a great time and to this day, I count that dad among my very best friends. Fast forward about 20 years during which time my son never really "got the bug" for sailing. Now that he has a girlfriend that truly loves sailing, I have noticed that is he is asking me more questions about the boat! Hey - if it means we go sailing more often together, I'll take it!

I also indulge in dreams of blue water, white sails and green palms, but I've had to modify those dreams a bit to make sure that they include my wife. It became apparent many years ago that while my wife dreamed of traveling the world also, her dreams generally involve a plane ride, a comfortable hotel and ultimately, a return flight home. In our "modified dreams", I'm sailing into a distant harbor where my wife is waiting for me and we do our exploring together until it's time to move to the next port or to head home. We've tried it on a small scale with our cruising in the Northeast and so far, so good. I like a comfortable hotel too - it's just the cramped seat in the back of the plane I can't take!

Sorry I'm rambling here, but I'll close by saying that if sailing is still important to you as you move through life, and the "big cat" plan doesn't work out, try something else that will allow you and your family to find the balance we all strive for. I know that I have to stay flexible as I approach "retirement age" (whatever that is!) The "distant harbor" that I enter then may not be halfway around the world, but wherever it is, I want to share the view with my loved ones!
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook