SailNet Community - View Single Post - Westerbeke/Universal Diesel Problems
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke/Universal Diesel Problems

Long shot here - would welcome thoughts from others: So far we have focused on the fuel system, which is the logical place to start. I know when I filled my tank to full for a cruise, the racor picked up loads of gunk (presumably from the top of the tank - I don't often fill it all the way!). Not a big fan of the loose gasket theory, at least not downstream from the pump; I had a loose o-ring, and you knew immediately as diesel squirted out...but upstream, maybe.

Anyway, as an alternative to the fuel theory, I seem to remember somewhere a guy who had a blockage on the exhaust; the engine would start fine, run for a few minutes, then lose power and die. Would not restart immediately, but wait a while, it would start again, then lose power again. Basically a blockage in the exhaust was causing a buildup in pressure; when it reached a certain level the engine would stop. Wait, the pressure leaked out.

Probably a longshot. Some engines had a return valve in the exhaust to prevent water getting sucked into the engine; it can get stuck. And the pipe can get blocked. So are you having a strong exhaust/cooling water discharge?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook