SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bulkhead refinishing question
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Bulkhead refinishing question

In the 80's, Sabre didn't put a finish on their interiors. Some people would use Murphy's Oil Soap or any number of "oils" which tend to look nice for about 5 minutes then collect dirt, progressively darkening the wood. Teak is naturally oily and does not need to be oiled, especially interior wood. Fortunately, my PO was lazy and didn't do much to the interior, so I mostly had just dirt. I used a plastic pot scrubby with acetone to give the wood a good cleaning. Then I sanded lightly with 220 grit sandpaper and then applied 5 coats of satin Minwax Wipe-on Poly. For handholds, window frames, table, and other high wear objects, I used gloss. I only wipe with a damp cloth from time to time to clean up. The interior is all teak, so I broke up the job, working on the head, then V berth and hallway, main salon, and finally galley & chart table. I didn't move to the next section until I was done with the current one. The photo shows the natural color of teak which is not dark.

Admission of Guilt: I don't apply finish or sand between coats with the same care that I use for my furniture. It's a flippin' boat and even I have my limits for persnickety-ness. I take care and it shows but seriously, a boat is a lesson in entropy. It looks nice enough....and then I drop a winch handle, it bounces down the steps, off the corner of the chart table, and onto my high gloss floor. So much for perfection.