SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downside of living aboard
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013

elspru is on a distinguished road
Re: Downside of living aboard

What I really like about this thread, is that unlike the "just do it" threads, it encourages planning, knowledge ahttp://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/living-with-phytic-acidnd skill acquisition before getting a boat.

It's a great reminder, since there is repair and maintenance saturdays at the yacht club I'm at so can partake and learn requires skills on other peoples boats, so can do it with relative ease once we get our own boat, while helping them with their boats now. It's also good karma or manna for later when maybe someone will help us repair our boat.

I especially like that cruising blues article, it is very reassuring, since we love nature, the waves, sun, stars and shorelines, as well as being together all or most of the time. It's also a curious article as it describes the kind of confrontation that happens on any hermitage, when a person must face and come to terms with their inner selves,
as I went through that process years ago on a hermitage it's fond memories of tough times. My heart was really racing at those beautifully scenic descriptions of the waves and the weather.

Our Zen calendar for July says "We can never make peace with the outer world, until we make peace with ourselves" - Dalai Lama
I really take it to heart.
And so have made peace with Sabbag's relentless promotion of large boats, especially since I recently saw this faboulous video of a multi-generational family living aboard, cruising the carribean for over 2 years doing missionary work, can't tell how big but I'm guessing a 50 footer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfnzdtVO5Zw
I'd love to go sailing/cruising with multiple generations, or an intentional community, doing missionary work also sounds like fun. Like the old adage goes "many hands make light work", so can make maintenance on a large boat manageable.

Last edited by elspru; 07-02-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook