SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving-To versus Bare Poles
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013

dahicke is on a distinguished road
Re: Heaving-To versus Bare Poles

I wanted correct myself. I re-reviewed the 1979 Fastnet Inquiry Report and found that way I was trying to normalize the data was inaccurate. I had been trying to account for conditions that they may be in that lead to their problem they reported. They I read in another paper that do to the way the race was run, you could assume they saw nearly all the same conditions. So, the way the report had normalize was correct. This is Table 4.8 in the report. However, looking closer at the table, I noticed this right above it: Question: At the height of the storm what do you now feel was the principle danger? I looked at a completed questionnaire that I had found on the net. It is not clear to me that you can correlate the answers from that question to the storm tactic because of the way it was asked. I could see that a skipper filling that out, could have read it to mean the danger that I was concerned about while sailing prompted me to adopt this tactic, or could read it to mean that while I was performing this tactic I became concern about this danger. So now that I look at that table, I don't know if the data is usable because of the ambiguous way they asked the question. Had they asked the question as: State what kind of storm tactics you used and what problems you encountered during each. The data would be much better.

Just trying to set the record straight on that account.

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook