SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cortez 16
Thread: Cortez 16
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013

Lark is on a distinguished road
Re: Cortez 16

Sorry I am so late in continuing this thread. If you're still monitoring it, I have maybe four cents worth to add.

I have owned my boat for three and a half years. Last year, I bought a new furling genoa (about 130%) but with the area lakes all so low I did not sail her. This year, I had knee surgery and am just now ready for the water again.

My boat is tough but tender. She likes winds in a very narrow zone of about 8-15 mph. Below and she won't really make way, above 15 and it gets very interesting in a hurry. She heels over quickly and I haven't yet found the spot where she stiffens naturally until she is being hit really hard by a side wind. She is very hard to point up toward the wind. By changing the weight distribution in the cuddy so she noses down a bit, I feel like I am able to reach better and the cockpit is also more level.

After a near disaster with a 47 mph micro-burst, I really did some re-thinking about this boat. I changed the way the boom was rigged - there was an odd little metal rail or bar at the stern that had no provision for sheeting in and holding the boom amidship. I now have two pad eyes with simple rigging that allows me to use the boom traveller cleat more effectively. I now the trimming capabilities of the furler. The new sail is waiting for some lake trials and the main has been re-sewn with a reef point added.

A few other things: The fiberglass hull is hand layed-up and it seems very substantial. Because the boat has such a tall freeboard it really needs a swim ladder for safety. The relatively heavy keel is quite reassuring. It is heavy enough that I think it would take a huge wind to knock this little boat down. While she launches rather easily, my boat is not easy to get back onto the trailer after being on the water. I have only sailed this boat on smallish lakes .

My rudder is very odd. I have to use trucker's tie downs in order to get it to pop up an down properly, but it is not very streamlined. How is your rudder assembly designed?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Lark For This Useful Post:
bswinhart (08-13-2013)