SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are You The Operator Underway?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Are You The Operator Underway?

BH, I understand the objection. Did you helm or navigate your vessels without any related training? With regard to the Captain being responsible, I don't think the new regs. relieve the captain/owner completely of any responsibility. If someone turns over the helm to an unlicensed or intoxicated operator, they will be held additionally responsible.

I suppose that I don't feel the angst that many do, because it really doesn't affect me. I can operate under my CG license, and I'm allowed to turn over the helm while under sail
to anyone of my choosing, and imo the buck still stops with me. It's only while under-power that I need to " consider" whether the helmsman is licensed. That a jet skier or power boater is now required to take some minimal training to be on the water with me seems like a good thing vs. no requirements of any kind which was the practice and still is in many places. But, like I said, I understand where people might take exception to the changes, and I'm not trying to change minds. In reality it doesn't affect what I do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook