SailNet Community - View Single Post - Island Packet and Cape Dory 33- 40 range.
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Island Packet and Cape Dory 33- 40 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I almost doubted myself for a second there, that was weird..

The IP 30 or whatever length it is has this interior

If they are not the same maker they are so close it is confusing. I think the deck shot in the first picture was taken at a screwy angle from above, you can see the portholes in one of the other photos and they look like they should for the IP boats.

This is another one an IP 27, interior for comparison

This one is $40,000.00 if you were interested
Used 1992 Island Packet Ip 27 (hull 242), Jacksonville, Fl - 32256 - BoatTrader.com
I think it is a 27, they just added in the length of the bow spirit. Looks like it needs quite a bit of work. and that is a bit of cheating going by length over all, though that is what you will likely pay slip fees on. And the blurry pictures really don't help much.

There are a couple of issues with IPs that I think are really not good in a boat in there price range. First is the ballast, encapsulated to start with and topped off with concrete. While some are fond of encapsulated keels, I don't think the mix of loose lead and iron (seems to very from boat to boat) that is mixed with a resin then topped off with concrete spells quality. I also don't like the way they build the chain plates into the hull inside the fiberglass, so inspection is impossible without cutting into the hull and buried behind lots of cabinetry. This just begs for crevice corrosion and failure at the worst time. And finally the one complaint I have heard from some older boats is that the tanks are prone to corrosion and very hard to replace under the floors, not that many boats make it easy. Just seems all three systems are made to fail and don't allow any inspection and adds unnecessarily to any repair costs.

For me these issues would be far more acceptable in a lower price point boat, but not at what they get for these boats. Not that I could afford one, or really want one.

I see seaducion posted at the same time as me.

By the way Boat Trader seems to just scrape listings and does no validation of any kind.

Last edited by miatapaul; 07-02-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook