SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat, living aboard and learning to sail
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007

mkrautha is on a distinguished road
Boat search continued also Sailing question

I like Alberg 30s though they are getting pretty old all of them. Still certainly on my shortlist.
Thanks for the tip on the Golden Hinds. They may very well be at the top of my shortlist for a second boat. Currently there aren't many around and they are just slightly out of my price range.

Still I can help but gravitate toward the aleutka and the folkboat which is crazy I realize since both are not even close to ideal liveaboards and the rest of the family would kill me. Nonetheless, I found a restored wooden folkboat with a trailer for with an asking price of 15k and two aleutkas at 7 and 9k respectively (no trailer but easily done on a flat bed b/c they are bilge keels).
The thing for me is ultimately a boat is both a practical and a soulful purchase. I think this is why the folkboat and the aleutka appeal to me. Especially since the folkboat is wood!! They've both got character...

Also, anyone have any thoughts on sailing schools in the bay area-- there are other threads pertaining so don't feel too obligated to answer.

Thanks again for all of the good advice and insights.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook