SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Does Your Islander Sail?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013

nestorph is on a distinguished road
Re: How Does Your Islander Sail?

After my Islander 28 was lost in Hurricane Sandy, I picked up an Islander 30 Bahama (1983) in Rhode Island. I spent a few months driving the 200 miles on alternate weekends to get her prepped. Finally, two weekends ago, my three-to-four man crew sailed down from Rhode Island, across Long Island Sound, down the East River past Hell Gate and across Raritan Bay to her home port in Keyport, NJ. She sailed beyond my expectations! Our first leg was a gorgeous day with 20 knot winds. She was so well balanced that we were able to lock the wheel and not touch it for hours! That day we were averaging 6 knots and hit 7.2 on occasion. We had a lot of fun motoring down the East River. We caught the high tide at City Island and headed south. At one point, my knot meter was registering 6.5 knots while my GPS was reporting that our SOG was almost 11 knots. We zipped down in no time, swung around the tip of Manhattan, picked up additional passengers the new Liberty Landing Marina and headed home. A great three-day trip!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook