SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bahama entry fees are rising, again?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Bahama entry fees are rising, again?

I've been to the Bahamas countless times, by many modes of transport. Showing up in a private yacht is remarkably more expensive than by aircraft. Even private aircraft.

I didn't understand it at first, but then it dawned on me and Jon just stated it above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
.......I doubt they're too worried if the diminishing percentage of people like myself, who come in on modest boats, rarely stay in marinas or spend any real serious money.....
Cruisers often arrive fully self sufficient and self contained. The Bahamian economy receives little benefit by comparison. When a private aircraft lands, the hotels and restaurants all get business. I think the cruising fee could be more fair and consider short term layovers or weekend tours, but I acknowledge that many would abuse it and overstay, if there were a cheaper option.

I hate the tourist islands of Grand Bahama and Freeport. Why any cruiser would go to either is beyond me. Andros, Abaco, Cat Island, Long Island, Exuma, and more are far far nicer. The more remote you get, such as Cat and Long Islands, the less crime too. Nearly none existent really.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook