SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bahama entry fees are rising, again?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Bahama entry fees are rising, again?

You have to remember that most of those in the Bahamian government charged with making this sort of decision, are gonna be based in Nassau... What they primarily see, is megayachts coming into marinas like Atlantis, spending perhaps a thousand bucks a night simply for dockage, and know those owners won't bat an eye over this sort of increase...

I would suspect the Out Island business community is as annoyed by this increase as we are, however, as that's where people like myself primarlly spend our money, what little we do...

Having said that, however, after visiting the Exumas 2 winters ago after not having been through there in several years, I was stunned by the increase of charter megayachts operating in those waters... Places like Highborne and Staniel Cay are profiting quite handsomely from the charter trade, and could care less about visitors like me, it's the big fish they're after...

In Nassau, when they think "cruiser", they're really thinking "Well-Heeled Vacationers" flown into yachts that charter for $100K/week, at a minimum... Such "cruisers" might spend more in one night dining at Harbour Island's Rock House, than I likely will over a lifetime of knocking about the Bahamas in my little tub...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook