SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Anyone know a good place to buy a marine flag?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking into buying an American flag for my 25 ft. Macgregor, but I am dubious of just buying any "marine" or "nautical" flag because I don't want to be replacing it in a few months. So to restate the question, has anyone had any good experiences with a particular company? Or found a really durable flag? Also I am looking for one around "20x30 and up, but less than $40
Thanks,
Rob

#3 ·
Bought mine at West Marine and its holding up very well. If by marine, you mean the ensign (anchor and stars), I'm not a fan. Okay for others, but I prefer the actual flag. Otherwise, I don't think there is material that is actually better in a marine environment. You should just take them down at night and in the rain.

#6 ·
One of the few remaining flag makers left in our country is Annin in Ohio. They make their own flags on the premises in Ohio. They offer lower cost printed flags for decorative type usage and they do have premium cloth embroidered flags that will last a long time with proper care. I personally dislike having to buy "Old Glory" manufactured in China or the like.
Here's a link to their website: Annin Flagmakers - Oldest and Largest Flag Manufacturer in the United States - Since 1847.

#11 ·
Rob-
Some of the flagmaker sites should also offer you advice on materials. Like sails, there are flags for different conditions. A lightweight one will fly better in light winds, like the airless July/August in the northeast. And of course, wear out faster than a heavier fabric. Ignoring "better" or "cheaper" fabrics, the heavier ones generally last longer but won't fly well in light winds.
Of course there's nothing to keep you from buying one of each. :)

I'd be reluctant to fly a Navy jack, even a historic one, on a civilian boat. Technically, that's not allowed. Plenty of other good historical choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.