SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

There I was sailing my Coronado 25 coastal cruiser behind the keys (somewhere around Largo) in a parade of about 7 other sailboats. I had just sailed 3 days from St. Pete after outfitting for a year to "do the keys". It was a beautiful sailing day in the sun and I had that living like thanksgiving feeling as any young, dumb, and full of ... freespirited guy should have and alls going well in the train of sailboats I was following. My chest was swelling with pride that day I`ll tell you sir. I was in the middle of the pack and doing everything right. I was even following the chart which turned out to be my mistake. I saw the others not do the charted dogleg and thought it slightly odd, but I continued for the dogleg turn accordingly and within a nanosecoond after realizing that I might be the one that was wrong, BAMM! I came to a screeching halt and was hard aground much to the hysterical delight of the 10 g"#d&%# stinkboaters anchored along the shore just waiting for a sucker like me to give them their afternoon entertainment. As I turned my mortified head to see the others sail AROUND the channel markers, a f#§%ing stinkboater was johnny-on-the-spot with a beer in one hand and throwing me a line with the other under a supressed laughter about how it happens all the time. I didn`t want to accept his help and really wanted to tell him to GF himself, but it happened all too fast. I then continued on like a wet dog with his tail between his legs that just caught pissing on someones carpet. Chalk one up for experience. Better situational awareness was what I sailed away with from that one. There are others, but the pain of that one still haunts me from 20 odd years ago, so it might just be awhile before I post another one.

Fair winds everyone...

Last edited by Andrew65; 07-03-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook