SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do I Report Getting Hit (bumped) By Boat?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Do I Report Getting Hit (bumped) By Boat?

I would call in a professional and get an estimate for the full cost of repairs. Then approach the motor boater politely, and explain that you don't think it is that big of a deal, and ask him to pay for the damage he caused. If he refuses, ask for his insurance information and contact them. If he refuses to give the insurance info, then contact the marina management and police. I would also file whatever kind of report you can (depends on location as to who will take the report) if he does not pay you directly. If he pays directly unless you are under obligation then I would not bother.

But until you have an estimate then you don't even know how much money is involved. The professional may say oh that rub rail will all have to come off and be replaced at 4,000 plus 25 hours of labor, or he may say it is an hour of time and $20 in materials (unlikely). But when you get the estimate make sure you explain to them that you are planing on the other guys insurance paying. Not that they should pad the estimate, but if you know him, save any favors for when it is on your dime!

One other thing to keep in mind is you may only have a certain amount of time to report the incident so don't delay.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook