SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Charging Problems
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Re: Battery Charging Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharp56 View Post
Help! I am a new owner of a 1984 Catalina. I have one Engine batt which is working fine and seems to be charging when the engine is running. I have two house batterys which only work for a short time and then quickly die after the engine runs for a maybe 15 minutes or so. All batts are in good conditon. I have a Xantrex TrueCharge 20+/40+ Amp mutistage battery charger that is not showing any indicator lights at any time, whether the engine is running or not. I have a West Marine power switch w/ separate house and engine switch. It also has an emergency cross. The engine meter shows approx. 13 volts. The Xantrex meter at the nav station reads approx 13.5. I switch both house and engine on and have also been switching the emergency cross connect on but still nothing and no indicator lights. Any torubleshooting ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I think you'll find the Xantrex is your 120volt charger. It will only show lights when the boat is connected to shore power.

It appears your house batteries are not in good condition electrically speaking.

Follow Hellosailors advise.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook