SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Tour de France a la Voile - 3

My apologies for bringing this up, but the Tour de France a la Voile really is a terrific event for those who like both ocean and round-the-can racing. And once I figured out that Facebook is where the action is for this event, I am getting my daily dose of photos, videos, commentary and news.

Anyway, I guess it is not surprising that Frank Cammas and Groupama are dominating the offshore legs, with two consecutive victories (though leg one was very, very close against Oman Sailing - only decided in the final approach to Breskens). But I am a bit surprised that Groupama is so strong in the in-port racing - indeed, they have been on the podium for every race I think (or nearly, need to check again).

By contrast, Thomas Coville, who is a masterful offshore racer, and his Sodebo team have reallys struggled, particularly in-shore. Admittedly, they had an unfortunate collision at the start of the Breskens leg, breaking their bow sprit, and finished last, subject to redress. Waiting to see where they finished on the Breskens-Dieppe leg, which just concluded.

Anyway, really encourage everyone to go check it out. The videos are too short but excellent photography, and if you go to the Groupama Facebook page you can get even more great info. I think Frank Cammas is my new hero of the moment.