SailNet Community - View Single Post - I want a nautical tattoo :)
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: I want a nautical tattoo :)

My grandmother smoked her entire life and died at the age of 98 from natural causes. Never a hint of lung cancer or heart disease. There are always exceptions to the averages and I was sure some would identify them.

I have no beef with anyone (other than my kids) having a tattoo. It's a personal decision. I considered it as a kid and am glad I didn't.

But the overal stats remain pretty clear. I've read several articles that draw the same conclusion. The percentage of people with tattoos goes way up in lower income brackets and way down for people with higher education.

In this study I googled:

http://bxscience.enschool.org/ourpag...24/tattoos.pdf

40% of high school dropouts had a tat. Only 29% that graduated from high school and 14% that graduated from college. I have seen others will similar findings.

Clearly tats aren't causal to why one would or would not achieve an education. The point is that society will continue to assess the averages and, if they see one, probably assume one is less likely than someone without one to have a higher education. Just a theory.
The study also has income distribution, political affiliation, etc. but I didn't look closely enough to see if they compare it to overall distribution to see if they're different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook