SailNet Community - View Single Post - "You make your money buying the boat, not selling it."
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: "You make your money buying the boat, not selling it."

Okay, I'm going to go against the grain here ... I didn't buy a boat to make money, I bought it to sail and live on. For me in my situation, there were less risky and easier ways to make money. And when we negotiated our current boat, we realized that price was just part of the equation. We negotiated things in addition to dollars: timing of the sale, improvements and extras, and so on. We found the boat in March but wouldn't have the cash to buy it until August when some funds matured. The seller wanted the money from the sale for grad school and was delighted to have part of the summer to continue to play with the boat. And during that time sellers did many upgrades without affecting the price (confirmed with survey), things like bottom paint, new AC system wiring, new bimini and all new upholstery in my choice of fabrics. Worked out to be a good deal, and good karma deal, for both. We needed that karma as we emailed numerous times with questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook