SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013

Location: Boat is in a slip at Kentucky Lake; we live in Clarksville, TN
SunnnyD is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Wanted to throw in my two cents on this one. My wife and I are in our late 30's and we recently took an ASA class in San Diego and purchased an older and inexpensive trailerable sailboat that we sail frquently on KY Lake near where we live. My "master plan" is to retire in a few years (I am in the Army and can retire with a pension pretty soon) and to purchase a bigger sailboat that we can live and cruise on for an indefinite period of time. We made the decision early on to not have any kids, and we have no debt to speak of, so it seems like a no-brainer to sail off into the sunset. She was skeptical at first, but she has become an efficient and capable 1st mate for me, and I think that by gaining confidence in the safe environment of a lake in a slower, older and simple boat, that we can gain the experience that we need to really live the dream. I know that I have kind of strayed off of the topic a bit, and I see the demographic of the people that are typical in the sailing communities that we have interacted with (often in their 60's or older) but that really doesn't bother me/us at all...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook