SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
That's quite a mystery Jon. Dated mid-June, I wonder what became of the crew. Who investigates for evidence of foul play in cases such as this? Some sort of crime has got to be high on the list of possibilities. People don't just leave boats like that floating in the Atlantic for no reason.
yeah, this one seems VERY strange... most indications seem to point to a deliberate abandonment, to me...

She was obviously not abandoned while under sail, every thing is furled... A plausible explanation could be a singlehander gone overboard while under power, but then where is the dinghy? There are davits on the stern, so one would presume he was using a substantial tender, and not a roll-up that might be stored below deck, as roll-ups and davits don't match up very well... No visible sign of an empty liferaft cradle, either...

Weird... Again, I can only hope this was a deliberate abandonment in conjunction with a rescue by another vessel, using the tender to shuttle between the two, an occurrence that never made the news, or we've simply never heard about...

It's not been a good summer for yachts named RUNNING FREE... A Freedom 40 with the same name had to abandon their voyage to Ireland, and return to Newfoundland after suffering some damage in heavy weather 1/3 of the way across... This one is a Pearson 36, the only reference I can find to her is an Abaco regatta report from SOUTHWINDS back in '07, her owner at that time was a gentleman named Bill Powell... Anyone know anything more about the boat or her owner?

Based upon fullcastle's report on the IP, it would appear that since the cushions were still sitting in place in that jacuzzi cockpit forward, the lives of that crew might not have been in quite the amount of jeopardy they apparently felt at the time... (grin)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook