SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to find a partner
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2002

aasault is on a distinguished road
How to find a partner

Gknopp,

I''m a 35 year coastal SoCal resident, and for what it''s worth ($0.00) I can offer this advice. If you can, choose San Diego. As you probably know, the airport is almost in the bay!! From the airport to my slip at Harbor Island is literally about 5 minutes. LAX to any slip is at least 30 minutes, but would usually be closer to an hour with any kind of traffic. If you''re driving from Phoenix, San Diego traffic is much easier to negotiate than the horrendous mess that the LA area has become. San Diego Bay is much more appealing to the eye than anythng LA has to offer. The only good thing about LA marinas is their proximity to Catalina. However, most people only make that trip once or twice a year, so the point is moot.

I don''t know your experience or expectations, but I would suggest starting out by renting boats by the day from a company like Harbor Sailboats, who are in my marina. That would get you sailing this weekend, and give you time so sort out the partnership thing. Harbor Sailboats has lots of nice boats. I think they have a couple of larger Beneteau''s and a Catalina 42, which would be great for a long weekend bumping around the bay. I played golf with a guy last week who swears by them. I think the rates are very reasonable, probably no more than a very nice hotel room. Nice facilities too. Check out their website. I don''t know the web address, but it''s easy to search.

I recently bought a 1985 Dehler Optima 101 (35'') which I keep in Harbor Island West Marina. I would consider a partnership on this boat, however, given your price range I don''t think it would meet your needs or expectations from a creature comfort point of view. It''s a great sailboat, but I really don''t have it set up for overnighting (nor do I intend to).

Lastly, I would consider a partnership in a more modern boat. Althought I think you''re a little out of my price range. My limit is probably $50,000 for my half. I only pay cash for toys, and would not consider a boat with any kind of loan on my part. I would not consider any kind of very slow, very heavy ketch, yawl, etc.. San Diego generally has light winds. There is nothing worse than motoring around San Diego bay in a slug while everyone else is sailing!!!

My crew is wife and daughters, so it''s a family affair. Due to business demands, my boat usage is about the same as yours, 2-4 days a month, if I''m lucky. Money is no object for proper maintenance. I would like a detailed partnership agreement prepared by an attorney.

If you want to discuss it further, my email address is aasault@aol.com

Art

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook