SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter 33 vs CS 30
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Hunter 33 vs CS 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Not at all, I like almost all of my fellow sailors, even those with different viewpoints. The profle numbers are very revealing in this regard. I have given almost as many "Like"(s) as the number of posts I have made. That speaks for itself.

There is an abundance of useful information on Sailnet, from all different sources, some surprising. There are some real experts here, whose opinions I respect and follow. Some have even recommended other valuable sources of information - books, websites and videos - that have proven to be educational.

Unfortunately, one must dig through a mountain of B.S. to find these valuable nuggets. The dig is not entirely unpleasant, however, since the B.S. has some entertainment value. I have never put anyone on "Ignore", because I recognize that someone may still offer some entertainingly stupid material, even if it is not useful or practical. And learning why that poster is completely wrong and ignorant can be an educating process for all of us. The defense of Captain Walbridge and The Bounty incident was certainly in that category.
James, Good to hear.

Its the internet and there is no filter. And yes SN is way more entertaining than CF as BL noted, but many less technical experts. Also berift of people who race their boats like SA.

What I have learned from some on here is learning who to listen to and the rest it just becomes pure entertainment value. Finding out who really has real technical knowledge, and who in reality, is an ambulance chaser posing, is part of the education process.

The most valuable part of the SN experience for me has always been the friends I have met from here who I have relationships with.

Now back to the OP.

Seeing as you pocess a good amount of sailing experience I would suggest you look at a number of boats as illary has mentioned if you can, unless you are hooked into the CS 30 or the Hunter 33. Pf it only a choice between those two, then outfitting the one you choose with the required equipment for cruising would be a priority, including the safety equipment. Join the HUnters group and ask your questions there.

If you are choosing to venture offshore the entire process that would change mny thinking as opposed to coastal hopping which is certainly possible to achieve your goals.

I would also suggest you join Cruisers Forum to speak with sailors who do cruising. Posers handing out coastal bluewater sailing advice when the most they have ever done in the ocean, is an overnight DeMarva trip is not where I would look for good or relevant information about sailing the Bahamas or Maine. Killarnny, Dave,Xort, Wing, or Jon being that exception For that good advice I would go to CF. There is a group of already cruisers on there.

Good luck on your quest for the perfect boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook