SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bahama entry fees are rising, again?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Bahama entry fees are rising, again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
I know for a fact that most sport fishing boats here in Miami and southern Florida do not pay the fee. It is too high for a short visit for fishing. Bimini Island does not have a custom boat nor do they want one. They are in dire straits and will take any business that comes there from the sport fisherman. The sport fisherman fly the Bahamian flag without checking in and the officials look the other way.
Like others said, they spend a lot of money on fuel, hotel and restaurants.
The cheap sailors that come spend very little money compared to these guys plus the mega yachts. They will get there money from us one way or another.
I had a chat with the Bahama officials at the Miami boat show last Feb on this very subject. That is exactly what they told me.
This seems like a security nightmare for both countries. If boats are making crossings of international borders with no clearing-in procedures, officials "looking the other way," it is an open door for smuggling and terrorism.