SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making a living as a liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013

slax is on a distinguished road
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

Yah its been an interesting adventure this working from vessel reality. Tis quite hard to stretch out and have more then a single monitor and room to think. Nice when things arent blowing up but sometimes I miss stuff cause I am not able to keep all the HUD's up and open... bandwidth has been an issue as well, though am slowly getting it in order. Most of the time I can pick up the marina wifi when at the slip, seems to serve the purpose during most days (business hours at least). I have another small DC linux box running 2 x 4G data plans multiplexed and shared as an access point for when the wifi is saturated or when out beyond the range of wifi. Can justify the 90$/month with work needs... and when they're both getting good reception, 2x4G is more then enough bandwidth, coverage in most of SF Bay, even under sail. Still doing more research for long-range comms, but feel this setup with the right carriers, or dual carriers for those spots w/out one or the other along the coast.. could cover most of the coastal cruising area out west. Cost could get a little dicey as you get further south if your crossing into mexico (or within 30miles of the border) I would look at international plans ahead of time. The more I think about it for longer voyages though, the more I am leaning towards utilizing whatever other skill-sets I can and staying away from IT/IS stuff except when/if absolutely needed. Its hard enough for me to be stuck below on the freekin keys for a 12-16hr day as is, imagine it would be a bit more lamesauce if I was say in a distant land.

cheers,
slax
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook