SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making flush mounted acrylic replacement windows
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road
Re: Making flush mounted acrylic replacement windows

This is a copy of a post I made in another forum with lots of links:

"

I have been doing a lot of research into replacing the windows on my boat. Leaking is a big factor in my decision making, followed by the cost of either rebuilding or replacing all 7 windows/ports on my boat. After weeks of searching and reading the positives and negatives, and weighing all the different options, I have decided that I am not going to rebuild my existing windows. They leak, the exterior frames have cracked, several of the acrylic lens have cracked, and there really isn't much left that is salvageable...

I am going to have my local glass company cut new windows out of 3/8" or 1/4" dark tinted acrylic using templates that I will will create from my original broken window frames, and have them bevel the edges for a factory look. Then I plan to mount them using only an adhesive like Dow's 795. That's right, NO SCREWS OR BOLTS!!!! It sounded crazy to me at first also, but the more I've researched, the more I like the idea!

Dow 795 Info:

DOW CORNING® 795 SILICONE BUILDING SEALANT

Here's a few links if you are interested in such craziness:

Installing windows - Ottawa River Sailing Page

How to install boat windows and port lights

Portlight Replacement

S/V MOMO: Replacing Boat Windows: Polycarbonate (i.e. Lexan) or Acrylic (i.e. Plexiglas)

And a video of a guy using an overpriced kit($1500), to do exactly what I am talking about:

I will be getting an estimate of what it will cost to have the windows made, and if it is too high, I will just make them myself! The acrylic sheet is fairly easy to cut and bevel, and It looks like with shipping and tax, all the materials would be under $150. I think it will really update the look of the boat! The more I have researched, the more I like the idea of this. There is only one possible place for it to leak, and the reviews of the Dow 795 in this application are fairly impressive."

I decided not to have my local glass place cut them for me, I felt their quote was too expensive, and for slightly less I could invest in the tools to add to my workshop or future projects. I currently have everything to complete this project, and I believe I've only spent about $275 to $300 total on the project(including $120 for the scroll saw and blades). Now all I need is some more free time to finish it up! I highly recommend that anyone that tries this should practice cutting with the saw on some junk material first. The thicker tinted acrylic isn't cheap, and I only ordered enough for the project. Not much room for mistakes...

Last edited by Smier; 07-04-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook