Re: Is external rudder a good idea?
Thank you all very much for the input, it was of great help.
I will allow my self to summarize the different opinions, if another kind soul has the same question, and comes across this thread.
1. It is an advantage with one less hole in the boat to worry about
2. Provided that the rudder-mounts are properly sized (as with any ruddertype), it is a completely safe setup
3. A lot of very seaworthy (and "blue water") boats has this setup
4. Weather-helm is not related to the way the rudder is mounted
5. It might be a challenge to mount an outboard motor if so desired
6. A lage wave crashing from behind, could induce higher stress to the ruddermounts