SailNet Community - View Single Post - Binocular Conundrum: Field of View?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Binocular Conundrum: Field of View?

"The exit pupil is not on the retina. It has nothing to do with the retina. It is is the same position as the eyes pupil (technically slightly incorect, but close enough without confusing the issue)"
I understand that. But in this context, all eyeballs are the same size and all retinas are the same size, and that puts them all in the same position/geometry in relation to the exit pupil of the binocs. If the binocs had a 50mm wide exit pupil--it wouldn't matter because the iris would cut off the image at ~6mm and the retina can only accomodate a certain image size, no matter what angle the image entering the eye is "expanding" to.
The size of the retina is a limiting factor. The length of the eyeball is a limiting factor. The size of the iris is a limiting factor. The exit pupil size is another limiting factor--and the only relevant one that can be changed by the binoc maker, within limits.

Capta, I have purchased bincos. Many years ago. I'm looking for something a little different now, and I don't want image stabilized. There's moving parts and electronics and stuff to break in there. I was po'd when an internal lens (prism?) shattered in my binocs one winter, while they were stored in the closet. Apparently it was mounted ever so slightly too tightly and after enough years--the tension shattered it. Nice suprise, huh? So, I'll stick to the ones with no moving parts and just borrow or oggle yours.(G)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook