SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

We're learning our new boat, lots of systems we haven't had before such as an anchor windlass. In our case a nice Lofrans Tigres horizontal with a rope drum. Cool! Now we can use the winch to hoist the inflatable onboard instead of cranking a single-speed 16 winch.

A front was passing through the area and it was a bit blustery. We had drug anchor where we had planned to spend the night so thought we'd check a different cove out only to find it was as bad as the first cove with the williwaws curling down off the nearby mountains. Change of plan, only 8 miles to the harbor so we'll head back to spend the night but first I want to get the dinghy on deck to avoid issues since it's blowing pretty good. I tuck the boat up in the lee of a mountain side out of most of the wind, I'm idling along at about 1 knot and point into the wind and shift to neutral then go forward to help the Admiral get the dink hoisted. We're both concentrating on getting it over the rail (haven't quite perfected the whole using the windlass thing) when out of the corner of my eye I notice the shoreline, the rocky steep shoreline less than 20' from the bow. WOW, this "heavy cruising boat" coasted forever after I slipped her into neutral! I say to the Admiral "Sweetie, lock the clutch on the spin halyard please" and as soon as she does I zip to the cockpit for a bit of reverse to get some movement away from the rocks. We were still in almost 50' of water but I was pretty disappointed that I let myself lose situational awareness. The skipper of the nearby Nordic Tug wasn't very impressed either.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook