SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going up the mast on a trailerable sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013

Location: Boat is in a slip at Kentucky Lake; we live in Clarksville, TN
SunnnyD is on a distinguished road
Re: Going up the mast on a trailerable sailboat?

Thanks everyone for all of the comments! The more I considered it, I wonder if anyone has seen/heard of someone going up the mast and causing the whole boat to roll over to one side or the other. What is the math problem to figure out how much weight it would take to do that? My swing keel counterbalances some pretty serious pressure on the sails so I can't imagine that my 165 lbs. of "steel" would make a difference and cause that to happen in the slip.

I know that there are times that we may roll a boat over deliberately to get off of a shoal or to clean/check the bottom so I suppose that it could be done accidentally as well but it seems like the forces would have to be way out abeam, and as long as the boat is tied up, I shouldn't have to worry too much.

On a related matter though, as long as I have my Gerber multitool and a roll of duct tape, I think I would try to improvise rather than accepting the climb of shame for forgetting something!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook