SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do I do if someone anchors too close?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: What do I do if someone anchors too close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Errr why didn't you move?

Imho you are at least 50% to blame. Maybe/propably more.

If the boat anchored and you saw it was too close before it hit you then you had the option of moving. If you chose not to move and there was nobody aboard the mobo then you are mostly to blame for the damage.

Yes you were there first but the doctrine of a reasonable man applies'. You could have mitigated or prevented the damage.
I don't see this either. Knowing the person anchored poorly and then left the boat unattended a prudent person would move away, but that means you have to monitor all the actions of the idiot Motor Boater. While it makes sense to monitor those around you but having to stay awake and in the cockpit 24/7 to do it is not a reasonable expectation.

Getting mugged by walking in the wrong neighborhood does not make the victim 50% responsible for the crime.

Even if your GPS is handheld it still makes sense to use the anchoring alarm. I know my new handheld has this feature. You should be able to run it off the house battery or recharge AAs off the house battery. This time it was the MOBOs fault the next time it could be yours or your boat on the beach if your anchor drags.

In the mean time take photos, get witness statements. You should get a photo of his boat that shows the boat name and the side of the boat that you can see in the pictures of it rubbing up against yours.

Does the coast guard or LEO show up to take fender bender reports?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jephotog For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-05-2013)