SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bahama entry fees are rising, again?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Bahama entry fees are rising, again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
There are a lot of people with the wherewithal to pay the higher fee that are offended by the increase and are planning to cruise elsewhere this year.

The Government of the Bahamas have apparently announced that they will not increase fees. They have riled up a lot of people who are now pretty cranky about the previous $300 fee. Comparisons are being drawn to the costs and benefits of other venues.

Of course not everyone will go elsewhere but in an environment of continued price sensitivity by everyone, regardless of means, I think the Bahamas have not served themselves well.
Where are you getting any of this information? It took some effort to find any mention of the fee increase that started this thread because there has not been any official announcement. Now your saying the Bahamian Government is announcing they will not implement an increase they never announced?

The bottom line is that it would be nice to know what fees are officially in place?
I'm on a ton of lists, and my SSCA volunteer role results in a lot of additional e-mail traffic. If I could remember specifically where I read the roll-back I'd tell you. It was probably on either the T&T list or the Bahamas Chatter list. Across the listservs (more than the fora) there has been support for the idea of going elsewhere this year - not everyone of course, but a lot of people are deciding to give the Bahamas a pass this year. Mark and Diana Doyle ( OnTheWaterChartGuides ) for example are planning to cruise the Florida Keys this year instead of going to the Bahamas. I know they are not alone. Their decision is a quiet protest, not financially driven.

One of the challenges of cruising the Bahamas is that there are often disconnects between Nassau and the smaller islands. What you pay in Bimini can easily be different from what you pay at GTC or in Nassau. It takes a while for everyone to catch up with any official position.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook