SailNet Community - View Single Post - Complete Newbie...No Idea What I'm Doing...
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013

rob_d is on a distinguished road
Complete Newbie...No Idea What I'm Doing...

Okay folks, let me start off with the fact that I have never sailed before. I've spent a lot of time on boats in lakes and the ocean, but never sailed. So, step 1, learn to sail. Duh.
I've got it in my head right now that I want to purchase a sailboat, live on it (of course, cause everyone wants to live on a sailboat!), save up some money and travel from California down to Mexico, South America, the Bahamas, etc.
What I'm wondering is this:
1) Am I completely insane to think that I can find a decent boat for under $15k that will be "comfortable" to live on and sail down to Mexico or anywhere else in the world???
2) If I am NOT insane, what should I be looking for? What are the best liveaboard boats that will meet my needs? (Decent sleeping for two side by side, shower, etc.)
3) If I am insane, please, someone slap some sense into me because all I can think about is sailing the open seas and ditching the real world!

I've been trolling this forum for a while now...figured I'd finally join and just ask what I want to know!

FYI, I've been told to look for a few things on a boat. So far, this is what I'm thinking I want to look for:
1) 27-35 foot vessel
2) A diesel inboard motor
3) Solar panels (I know I'll probably have to invest in these, but if I can find a boat that comes with them, bonus!)
4) A liveable shower
5) Able to sail to Hawaii, Mexico, etc. if I so desire (and can afford!)
6) Under 15k (even less would be better!)

Any input you all are willing to give would be great!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook