SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spade rudders vs blue water passage making
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Spade rudders vs blue water passage making

"a rudder well built on a skeg is far stronger than one without a skeg"
Another silly statement from Brent Swain.
"Stronger in bending?
"Stonger" in twisting?
" Stronger" in your mind?

Engineering would say both rudders can be equally strong depending on the stock specs and the skin specs.
I know you don't like numbers Brent but sometimes an understanding of them can help.

I have designed more skeg hung rudders than any other designer. I now skegs. In 1973 when I designed the Valiant 40 I gave it a skeg hung rudder. I was attacked from all angles, "How dare you put a skeg hung rudder on a cruising boat". The arguments the skeg hung rudder are almost word for word what I hear now used against the spade rudder. But I was right back then and in no time it was very hard to find an offshore crusing boat without a skeg hung rudder. I know skegs. I know the arguments. Even Halber-Rassy went to skeg hung rudders.

But today I am equally as confident that the spade rudder is best for any boat. I notice that Halberg-Rassy now uses spade rudders in all their new models. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. That does not change my opinion. But I have a lot of spade rudder cruising boats out cruising and I have yet to have had a problem with one rudder.

So if you want to argue with me over rudder designs just keep in mind that for years almost every boat I designed had a skeg hung rudder. I know skegs and I know how they behave. I know their strengths and their weaknesses. I have designed both types.

If you are interested in my approach to rudder design I wrote an article for GOOD OLD BOAT about rudder design. I enlisted the help of several other designers in writing this article so a well rounded approach could be presented.
You can find the article in the July/August 2010 edition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 07-05-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook