SailNet Community - View Single Post - Complete Newbie...No Idea What I'm Doing...
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013

rob_d is on a distinguished road
Re: Complete Newbie...No Idea What I'm Doing...

I definitely appreciate all of the input!
I think one of my biggest strong suits is the fact that I am handy. I can work on things, I can fix things. I remodeled my entire house built in the 1940's, and it's gorgeous, imho. Although my ex owns it now. Whatever.
I'm under the impression, though, and correct me if I'm wrong...that living aboard is inexpensive. Not cheap, because of the cost of a slip, repairs to the boat, upgrades, etc. Living in the Bay Area is expensive, ridiculously expensive. So, if I can find a decent slip in say Berkeley (where my gf is thinking about going to get her masters) I can sail on the weekends, work on the boat, work a real job, and prepare for adventures.
Yes, I'm still on the idea that this whole thing is romantic, but I don't think I'm naive to the realities of owning/living on a boat. I know it's going to be tough, I know it's going to be a challenge, and I know it's going to be expensive. I live cheap now, so why not do that on a boat and be poor!
As for cold showers...not a big fan. I've seen somewhere, can't remember where, that installing hot water heaters is doable, especially when sitting on a slip and hooked up to power. As for being out at sea, there's always a solar shower...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook