SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do I do if someone anchors too close?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: What do I do if someone anchors too close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Something that allows you to raise the anchor from the helm. It can be a switch on a long lead or now a days wireless remotes are more common.
Yup, straight from the Sea-Ray School of Pushbutton Seamanship, undoubtedly the technique employed by the guy in dropping his hook to begin with... (grin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
In a situation like the one suffered by the OP starting the engine and using that with rudder to nudge away from the MOBO works but if you have to go up front to retrieve the anchor it makes things worse as you pendulum back. You need to keep manouvering clear as the anchor comes up.
Often is such a situation, the best tactic would be to simply let out more scope, prior to to dropping the rode completely - after buoying the end, naturally, with a few fenders, or whatever - letting it all float free and clear, then returning to retrieve your gear... Whenever one drops the hook anywhere, one should always be prepared for such an eventuality, it can often offer your best chance of making a quick escape from a dicey situation, and a primary rationale why any cruising boat should always have 2 anchors with independent rodes at the ready... If I'm anchored in a tight spot with other boats around, waiting for a frontal passage or a line of strong thunderstorms to move through, I will definitely be prepared to cast the rode free should should someone upwind begin to drag down upon me... It should always be one of the FIRST things one might consider doing in such a situation, IMHO...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-05-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook